Thursday, July 29, 2010

What George Owell didn't count on

I think most people who have read 1984 would agree that there's some reality to that today. Already stores, banks, random people who call your house, and the government track all kind of information on people. And there are things like the Patriot Act. My parents talked to someone a few months ago who swears his phone calls are being listened in on.

The thing is though, that the government doesn't need to watch us on telescreens. If you want to know what is going on with somebody check their Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, or blog. Don't get me wrong, I love these things, but with a snap of your fingers or a Google search their posted information is at your disposal (I just searched my home phone number and my address came up).

We are giving our lives away. Nothing is private anymore. If you go out in public a lot, think about all the times you've been record on security cameras. My high school put cameras in front of the bathroom doors. That's fucked up. So between this and all the internet stuff, we are about one Ministry of Love away from a 2010  1984, but this one is, ironically, by the people.

1 comment:

Rosie said...

You are so well spoken.