Monday, February 22, 2010

How to pick up guys

I bar him on hand [1] he hadde enchaunted me/ (My dame [2] taughte me that subtiltee)/ And eek [3] I saide I mette [4] of him al night/ He wolde han slain me as I lay upright/ And al my bed was ful of verray blood/ 'But yit I hope that ye shul do me good/ for blood bitokeneth [5] gold, as me was taught.'

-The Wife of Bath, The Canterbury Tales

[1. I pretended to him 2. mother 3. also 4. dreamed 5. signifies]

My lit prof's translation: "I had a dream that you stabbed me in bed last night, but I know you wouldn't hurt me"

Subtle, indeed.

Chaucer has such a dirty mind.

3 comments:

Rosie said...

I love horny dead guys. But not like, their bodies... you know.

Gloria said...

lol. I totally would not have taken it that way, but good to know still.

The Wife of Bath says she doesn't like old guys. But if her old husbands bought her nice things she would fake it for them.

Rosie said...

hahahahahahaha oh, women are plotters, for sure.