Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Fish are friends, not food

Some of you know that I have wanted to become a vegetarian for a while now. I had cut back on my meat intake, but it wasn't practical to stop all together since I still live with my parents and don't pay for my own food.

Well, today we happened to watch a video in my philosophy (we were talking about persons vs objects) called "Meet your Meat." It's a video from PETA, but don't let that put you off. As my philosophy teacher pointed out, not listening their argument just because you don't like them is a logical fallacy (which we just took a test on).

After watching this video, I realized that I could not put off vegetarianism just because it wasn't "practical". It's horrible how some (most) animals are treated before they get killed for food. Please watch this video (because I'm sure none of you did when I posted the link on facebook). It's okay to look away at some parts- I did.

2 comments:

Rosie said...

Well, as horrible as this was, and really GROSS at some parts, this doesn't describe every single farm. I worked at a small dairy farm on my missions trip in eighth grade, and the animals seemed happy, healthy, and well cared for. It seems as if this usually happens at farms that mass produce animals.

So Glor, you don't have to go all vegetarian, you could buy organic, and from small local farms instead. You've got a job now, if you don't wanna wait, you do have the ability to get your own stuff if you're really determined enough.

Try Whole Foods first and be careful to read all the labels. Then check out Trader Joe's, I LOVE that store!

You could really do this if you want, but don't judge all farms, because it doesn't always work like that (Not saying you are judging, just reminding you).

You could do what Chris does and only eat birds and fish (from small farms), not any mammal. That way you still easily get your protein and omega acids.

Anyway, if this vid was powerful to you, I encourage you to try it! You've been talking about going veg for a long time, make it happen!

<3

Gloria said...

Thanks for the advice!

This video was talking about farms that mass produce animals, btw. And I thought I mentioned in my post that I wasn't talking about ALL (I knew you would bring that up). And tomorrow in philosopy class we're discussing why animals SHOULD be killed for food. I know how to deal with these things.

Anyways, I'm prob not going to go all vegetarian for now, but work my way up to it as soon as possible.