Monday, January 23, 2012

We also play with animals in class

Had some good learnin' in class today. Today's first fun fact comes from my anatomy and physiology class, which I admit I ditched today (due to anatomy problems of my own, but that's a different story). However, this little tidbit was so fascinating that it came up in my companion animal class. I think my sister and my boyfriend will appreciate this one, seeing as how they are both anti-corn. That sounds kind of ridiculous, being anti-corn. I mean, it's just corn, what did it ever to do you? It doesn't hurt anyone. Actually, it does. Appartently it is a major cause of appendicitis. That's right, unchewed corn is the perfect size to get stuck in your appendix. Now that you know, you can also take the anti-corn position, or you know, you could just chew it.

I don't know how true that fact is, my companion animal professor seemed skeptical. Although it does totally sound like something my anatomy prof would say. Last Friday he wanted to demonstrate how the digestive system is closed off from the body and won't absorb things it doesn't need. So he told his grad student to prepare a certain concentration of a certain toxin and he would drink it. Problem is, she prepared a different toxin. He seemed kind of nervous, said she was in trouble, and didn't know what concentration it was, but he said, "if this doesn't work class is cancelled on Monday," and with that he downed it anyway. He did survive to tell the class the corn fact, so it's all good.

Also, in my companion animal class our prof taught us a mnemonic device to remember the layers of the adrenal glands in terms of what they produce. He wasn't sure if he should tell us; he said they weren't allowed to say it when he was in vet school. But he told us anyway: "salt, sugar, and sex- the deeper you go the better it gets!" Sexual and rhyming- the perfect way to remember something.

No comments: