Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Seriously, I only went downtown like twice this summer

I would like to put an issue to rest that has been keeping me from doing my physics homework for the past two hours.  The other night I met some people at a movie at my school in Iowa. I told them I was from the Chicago suburbs. Then one guy, who is from Hawaii (why anyone would go from Hawaii to Iowa, I don't know), said he was disappointed that I don't have a Chicago accent.

So for the past two hours I have been researching, i.e googling "Chicago accent," just to figure out what it is. That didn't go so well because the people who described the Chicago accent had it very exaggerated, and I know I'm not from the city, I'm from the suburbs, but I've never heard anyone talk like they do in that one SNL skit- which multiple people cited in their websites of how to talk like a Chicagoan.

Most of my research was all over the place though. Even the Chicagoans were arguing! So, I guess even with people who are from the city, some people talk weird and some people don't.

Of course, the next step, before I could go on to my physics homework, was to figure out if I have any sort of accent. This was all settle with a quiz I found on the Internet (and you know that everything on the Internet is true and people who did the quiz on the Internet said it worked- ignore the circular reasoning). The quiz said I have a neutral accent (though I've been told [and been told I mean made fun of] that I say "bagel" weird.)

Anyways, here's a good article about talking like a Chicago local. The slang is where it's at. Some of their things I say and some I don't, but seriously other people don't call them gym shoes?! That one threw me.

Well, I guess I ought to do homework now. I also need to get groceries soon because I need bread that isn't moldy. Except that's a different story. And there's no Jewels around here. ;)


Try the quiz here!!!

1 comment:

Rinny said...

I apparently have a northern accent. Meaning I can be from chicago, detroit, cleveland or buffalo. and/or the accent news anchors go for.