Friday, August 27, 2010

The dead deer is staring at me

When I walked into the zoology classroom on Tuesday, I expected most of my classmates to be there already because I was running a little late, but I wasn't expecting the fine displays of taxidermy stuck on the walls. The only reasons I could think of, of why they were there were 1. The professor thought some decorative touches would spruce the place up and get us in the mood to learn about animals 2. They are there to teach us about animals or 3. They are there to teach us what happens when you don't do your homework.

There are also some live permanent members of the class consisting of fish, frogs, snakes, and tarantulas.They must not be very good students to have been there for all these years. It's like that Spanish-speaking girl who was in my Spanish class, but failed.

We also learned some interesting facts about animals that day. Like there is a kind of millipede that when it gets old can wrap itself in a cocoon and come out young again.  And that most animals spend most of their time inactive and conserving energy. Proving once more how well I fit in with all my animal friends.

If all that weren't enough to convince the students how interesting the class was going to be then the various videos such as the one of the six male frogs all jumping on one female frog, the one of the male seal protecting his harem, or the one of the female praying mantis eating the male during coitus, sure were. Well, I'm hooked anyway (insert fish reference?).

2 comments:

Rinny said...

I think its #3 ^_^

Rosie said...

I was going to say #3 as well.

Also, for the thousandth time, I love your writing.

You are clever, wise, and talented. You make what could have been just uninteresting rants (not dissing your life, of course) into some of the most amusing and insightful little anecdotes I have ever read. You inspire me, and make me envious at the same time. I love you, and I love your writing.

Just so you know.