Monday, May 14, 2012

It's going to be a fabulously gross summer

Put on my flowered scrubs again today to go volunteer at the animal hospital. I was nervous to go back because, let's face it, my memory sucks and I figured they would expect me to remember how to do stuff. Which they did, and I totally didn't remember. Plus, they expected me to so stuff that they didn't realize I hadn't even learned last year. Guess they didn't realize they had me mainly doing cleaning and office work last summer.

But of the few things I learned over the course the whole summer last year I think I did them all today and then some. I was all like cleaning exam rooms, doing laundry, restocking, preparing vaccines, restraining dogs and doing cytology stains.

Though, the restraining didn't go very well. I was holding the dogs how the vet tech told me but I think all the scratches on my arms and chest are good indicators that it was insufficient. The embarrassing part is that they were small dogs.

I also got to see the grossest thing I've ever seen: an abscessed tumor on a cat's mammary glands. The skin around it was all black, it was big and puffy and pink, and it had a hole in the middle that bled continuously.

Although I haven't the slightest idea how their new computer system works, despite being taught, I'd have to say today was a good day for me at the vet clinic. And back there on Wednesday!

No comments: